The Moscow Village FÃªte was held again for the ninth year in a row on Saturday 14th September. Curious Russians peering over the wall of the late 19th century Anglican Church on Voznesensky Pereulok in Moscow were bemused to see kids running around with painted faces, food and drink stalls, the resident chaplain, Reverend Dr. Canon Simon Stephens, releasing a bunch of coloured balloons into the autumn sky and adults and children alike enjoying themselves playing silly games, which only the British can invent.
Completed in 1884, St. Andrewâs Church was taken over by the Bolsheviks in 1918 and confiscated by the Soviet Government in 1919. The Church tower was used as a machine-gun post during the October Revolution of 1917 and a number of provisional government supporters were shot in the churchyard. Until 1964 when it became a recording studio for the State record company Melodiya, the church and parsonage served as a hostel and partly to accommodate diplomats from Finland â¨and Estonia. Following the visit ofâ¨Queen Elizabeth II in 1994 theâ¨church was officially allowed toâ¨return to its original purposeâ¨as a place of religiousâ¨worship, although, withâ¨the exception of the â¨parsonage, property â¨rights have not been â¨reassigned and remainâ¨ with the Russian State.
Proceeds from the â¨fÃªte were donated toâ¨ the church restoration â¨fund and the Taganka Childrens Fund inâ¨ equal proportions.â¨ This tradition is now well established and will certainly continue next year.